FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 25, 2017
Bay of Quinte to Host Royal Tour
Neil Ellis, Member of Parliament for Bay of Quinte, on behalf of the Honorable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, is pleased to announce that Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will be visiting the Bay of Quinte region, this upcoming June.
As part of an official Royal Tour to join with Canadians in celebrating Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation, Their Royal Highnesses will take in the spectacular sights and experiences of Iqaluit, Nunavut; Canadian Forces Base in Trenton; Prince Edward County in Ontario; and Ottawa and Gatineau in Canada’s National Capital Region. Their tour will take place from June 29 to July 1, 2017.
Throughout their tour The Royal Couple will take part in activities which highlight the four themes of Canada 150: diversity and inclusion, reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, young people, and the environment. They will also meet with outstanding Canadian individuals and organizations which are positively influencing their communities and building a lasting legacy for Canada’s future.
On Friday June 30th, the Bay of Quinte will welcome Charles and Camilla at CFB Trenton and the Wellington Farmer’s Market, the latter event will be open to the public. The Bay of Quinte is excited to showcase our local stakeholders in sustainable development, farm to table agriculture, and honour our serving military and veterans by connecting them with our distinguished guests!
Full itinerary information will be released prior to the event date.
For more information, please contact: Neil.Ellis@parl.gc.ca.
MP Ellis, and other distinguished officials will be on-site for interviews. Also, members of Quinte West City Council and the Mayor’s Office have been invited to attend.
To send your personal greetings to Their Royal Highnesses, post a public message to your social media account with the hashtag #RoyalGreetings (#SaluationsRoyales). To send a letter or correspondence to any member of the Royal Family, please contact the Office of the Governor General at email@example.com.
Friday, June 30, 2017
Wellington Farmer’s Market
243 Wellington Main St.
“We are pleased to have Their Royal Highnesses in Canada at such an important moment in our history. The Royal Couple will have the opportunity to meet and connect with Canadians who are making a difference in their communities and building a lasting legacy for Canada’s future. This trip will showcase our diversity, the beauty of Canada’s environment, efforts towards reconciliation with Indigenous peoples and the achievements of our dynamic youth.”
The Honourable Mélanie Joly,
Minister of Canadian Heritage
“The Bay of Quinte is always happy to roll out the red carpet for our guests! On June 30th, we’re proud to have the opportunity to share the same warmth and simplicity of life that make our region such a wonderful place to visit, and live, with Their Royal Highnesses, Charles and Camilla.”
Mr. Neil Ellis,
Member of Parliament for Bay of Quinte
For additional information pertaining to the Royal Tour, please visit: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1495114627186.
• An official Royal Tour is when the Government of Canada invites a member of the Royal Family to come to Canada.
• This will be the 18th visit to Canada for The Prince of Wales and the 4th for The Duchess of Cornwall. Excluding Canada’s Capital Region, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visited cities and communities in Ontario in 2012 and 2009. In addition, The Prince of Wales visited in 1996, 1991, and 1970. For a complete list of Royal Tours in Canada, please visit Past Royal Tours.
• This will be the first official visit to Nunavut by The Royal Couple; however, His Royal Highness visited Iqaluit, then part of the Northwest Territories, in 1970. In addition, he has also visited the Northwest Territories and Yukon in 2001, 1979 and 1975.
• Excluding the Capital Region, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visited cities and communities in Ontario in 2012 and 2009. The Prince of Wales also visited Ontario in 1996, 1991 and 1970.
• The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will be attending the Canada Day celebrations on Parliament Hill for the first time.
Government of Canada’s Royal Tour Backgrounder: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1495114627186#a2
Royal Communications: https://www.royal.uk/media-centre
– 30 –
For media-related questions please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage
For other questions please contact Adrianna Christie at (613) 969-3300 or email Neil.Ellis@parl.gc.ca.